I'm very much a task driven person - mostly by necessity - I'm not sure why. I lay awake at night remembering things I need to get done... so I jot them in my phone so I can get to sleep. I make lengthy lists of tasks that never seem to end. Each day I wack off 25% or so only to have it regrow itself each time. Why do ...I have so many "little things" that need to be done?!?!?
I was running on one huge list and it was really intimidating... one day when copying it all over to get a nice clean list with the scratches removed... I started categorizing... things I had to do online, things I needed to physically do, ...phone calls I needed to make and things Matthew needed to do. That helped a lot. I figured after starting this conversation I'd look at the why's of each of the tasks...WOW.
30% is household related (9% chores-groceries, 12% financial stuff-military paperwork to lower our mortgage % and 9% general-charge camera batteries).
30% is executor stuff or things related to preparing for our coming trip to Kansas to finish the estate. Figuring out who will mow our 10 ft by 10 ft lawn for a month. Setting up autopayments on brand new utilities...
25% is because of our new house... balancing new and old utility companies... securing shelving to baby proof Gene's room...fixing our loan because the mortgage company messed everything up!
AND 15% is stuff Matthew needs to do... mostly Army and medical appointments... but someone has to make sure these things get done. :(
I don't write down most of my "little things." When one bad day attacks... the next day I write down breakfast lunch dinner and shower just to make sure they get done! I feel better looking at this reasoning because new house and executor are special circumstances and temporary.
I've wondered about OCD but could it be just super responsible? I haven't started putting dates on each thing as to when it's added and tracked the number of days they spend on the list... (although it sounds mathematically like fun)... and... the categories of why only happened today to consider the problem... :(
M and I were talking about it last night because I asked how normal families deal with the stuff to do of life. Like getting Gene's cabinet secured to a wall... would it just get done immediately... get done - someday when remembered... or he suggested normal people would have had the movers install it when they were moved into their place. Financially we'd much rather keep our money than pay someone else to do what we can...it just has to get done!
Because M gets up so early in the morning, we make breakfasts in 6 meal casserole dishes then put them in plastic boxes in the fridge so they are ready to heat, eat and run... still he gets a very healthy filling breakfast. What do other people do or does no one else leave their house early enough to cause issues...? 5:15 am is pretty awful!
No comments:
Post a Comment